- self-sufficient ˌself-sufˈficient adjectiveproviding all the things that are needed without help from outside:
• A more self-sufficient region in Asia would be better able to provide its own raw materials and markets.self-sufficient in
• We are trying to make Japan more self-sufficient in energy.— self-sufficiency noun [uncountable] :
• The country is pursuing an agenda of self-sufficiency in rice production.
* * *self-sufficiency UK US noun [U] FINANCE, COMMERCE► the fact of being able to provide everything you need for yourself, especially food, without buying from or being helped by others: »
These programs are aimed at moving developing nations toward economic self-sufficiency.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Self-sufficiency — refers to the state of not requiring any outside aid, support, or interaction, for survival; it is therefore a type of personal or collective . On a large scale, a totally self sufficient economy that does not trade with the outside world is… … Wikipedia
self-sufficiency — 1620s, originally an attribute of God (translating Gk. autakreia), from self + sufficiency. Of mortals, self sufficient able to supply one s own needs is recorded from 1580s … Etymology dictionary
Self-sufficiency — Self suf*fi cien*cy, n. The quality or state of being self sufficient. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
self-sufficiency — self sufficient ► ADJECTIVE 1) able to satisfy one s basic needs without outside help, especially with regard to the production of food. 2) emotionally and intellectually independent. DERIVATIVES self sufficiency noun … English terms dictionary
self-sufficiency — index home rule Burton s Legal Thesaurus. William C. Burton. 2006 … Law dictionary
self-sufficiency — n. 1) to achieve, attain self sufficiency 2) economic self sufficiency * * * [ˌselfsə fɪʃ(ə)nsɪ] attain self sufficiency economic self sufficiency to achieve … Combinatory dictionary
self-sufficiency — N UNCOUNT Self sufficiency is the state of being self sufficient … English dictionary
self-sufficiency — self satisfaction, independence … English contemporary dictionary
self-sufficiency — noun personal independence • Syn: ↑autonomy, ↑self direction, ↑self reliance • Derivationally related forms: ↑self sufficient, ↑self reliant (for: ↑self reliance), ↑ … Useful english dictionary
self-sufficiency — n. Conceit, conceitedness, pride, haughtiness, self complacency, self conceit, self esteem, self confidence … New dictionary of synonyms